CELTA Newcastle – an excellent training centre at a great price!
A training course with International House CELTA Newcastle brings you the experience of excellent trainers at a very competitive price.
CELTA Newcastle IH offers a 4-week intensive CELTA course for £1500.
CELTA Newcastle 2023/24 Dates
4th September -29th September
20th November – 15th December
5th February – 1st March
3rd June – 28th June
2nd September – 27th September
18th November – 13th December
Why do a CELTA course at our Newcastle centre?
- Our partner in Newcastle has been running Cambridge English teaching courses for over 20 years. The school is part of International House World – the organisation where the original CELTA started over 50 years ago. See The History of Teacher Training.
- It prepares future teachers for the Cambridge CELTA – the most accepted initial TEFL qualification around the world
- Prices for the CELTA Newcastle course and accommodation are very competitive.
- The teacher training centre is also one of the UK’s best English language schools. It’s ranked as a Centre of Excellence based on its British Council inspection. You will be able to observe highly qualified teachers giving language courses of different types and at different levels.
- Living in Newcastle is cheaper than many other areas in the UK. Combined with the competitive course fee, you’ll really save money (and get an excellent start to your TEFL career).
- Newcastle-Upon-Tyne is a lively student city with a population of 260,000 with 80,000 students.
The Newcastle CELTA course follows the strict guidelines of Cambridge UCLES
Successful applicants must:
- Have a high level of written and spoken English.
- Have a standard of education for entrance to Higher Education.
- Be 18 years old at the start of the course.
- Show they have the potential to become effective teachers.
The Certificate requires an attendance of 120 hours over the 4 week period. Candidates must attend at least 80% of each component of the course, although 100% attendance is expected, and time off is only granted in exceptional circumstances.
- Daily input
- Tutorial and lesson planning with tutor support and consultation.
- Six hours’ assessed teaching practice plus peer observation of teaching practice.
- Six hours’ directed observation of experienced TEFL teachers in the language school.
- A minimum of 80 hours of unsupervised work outside of course hours.
Teaching Practice and Observation
- Teaching practice takes place every day and is an integral part of the course. The lessons in teaching practice are related to the areas covered in the input sessions.
- Trainees work in groups of six to plan, observe and give feedback to each other on their teaching.
- All trainees teach in classes of at least two different levels (for example beginners and upper intermediate) to help them gain experience of teaching a variety of students.
- Teaching practice groups and tutors discuss the lessons in feedback sessions after the lessons. Tutors give both verbal and written feedback on each assessed lesson.
- Trainees also observe at least 6 hours of English lessons in the school given by qualified teachers.
- Additional time is required for lesson preparation and written assignments.
- The course is full-time and very intensive and it is impossible to have any other commitments while you are on the course. Candidates will have to work most evenings and at weekends on course-related work.
Application for the course
- Candidates must complete the application form and pre-interview task before interview.
- If you are based outside the UK you can request a telephone interview.
- If you would prefer to be interviewed at an alternative teacher training centre in the group, then you should indicate this choice on your application form.
- You should apply as early as possible as these courses are very popular.
Fees – £1,500
- As soon as you are accepted on the course you should pay your full fees. The centre cannot reserve a place on the course until this has been received.
- Once your fees have been received you will receive a pre-course learning task to help you prepare for the course. It is recommended that you spend a minimum of ten to fifteen hours on this.
- In the case of cancellation made later than four weeks before the start of the course, requests for refund of fees can only be considered if the centre has been able to fill the place at short notice.
Shared student apartments in the city centre with ensuite bathroom from £150 per week.
- self-catering accommodation – £170 per week
- half-board accommodation – £170 per week
- half board, special diet – £180 per week
Course Fees 2018
£1300 (including Cambridge ESOL entry fee)