Be ready for IELTS – which IELTS test is for you?
What is the IELTS test? How long will it take me to reach my score?
Crossroads Languages has many years’ experience in higher education helping students with IELTS test preparation and entrance to English speaking universities.
We give you free expert advice and help you arrange your course.
We work with some of the very best English language schools and colleges where you can prepare and take the IELTS test.
What is IELTS?
- IELTS is the International English Language Testing System which tests English proficiency.
- The IELTS is required by more than 6,000 organisations worldwide, including universities, immigration departments and government agencies.
How many IELTS tests are there?
- The IELTS Test is now available in three formats:
- Academic, General and a new test – IELTS Life Skills for immigration.
- IELTS is an approved Secure English Language Tests for UK Visas.
Which IELTS test should I take?
- The Academic IELTS is for you if you want to study in higher education in an English-speaking country.
- You can take the General IELTS if you want to do work experience or a training programme.
- The IELTS Life Skills test is for candidates who need a secure English test for their UK visa application.
What does IELTS test?
- The IELTS Academic Test and the General Test evaluates all four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- In your speaking test you have a face-to-face interview with an IELTS examiner.
- All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking modules but different Reading and Writing modules.
- The IELTS Life Skills tests speaking and listening only.
Where can I take the IELTS test?
- You can take the IELTS Academic and General Test in London, throughout the UK and at IELTS test centres around the world.
- The IELTS Life Skills can only be taken at authorised centres accredited by UK Visa and Immigration
IELTS test preparation with Crossroads Languages
- We look at your level and advise you on the best IELTS course to reach the score you need.
- We work only with centres that are very experienced in IELTS preparation.
- Many of our centres are classed as excellent by The British Council so you know you are making the right choice.
- Your teachers will often be IELTS examiners; they know exactly what the IELTS is and how to help you get the best score.
- Many Crossroads partner schools are also IELTS Test Centres.
How long will it take me to reach my IELTS test score?
The time you need to reach your score will depend on your starting level.
One of our popular IELTS exam preparation centres counts 12 weeks of English lessons to improve your IELTS score by one point.
- If you have the level of English you need, our most popular courses are an intensive 4-week IELTS preparation course.
- You can also choose a part time IELTS course.
- For students who need to improve their English you can take a General English course combined with IELTS exam preparation.
What level do I need to be to start my course?
- Many schools recommend students do not start work on IELTS exam preparation before they have reached an intermediate (B1) level in general English.
- Some schools prefer students to be at an upper intermediate (B2) level.
- Schools will send you a test to check your level before you register for the IELTS exam preparation.