Thinking of sending your teen to learn English this year, but can’t decide between a family or a boarding school?
All our summer English for teens programmes will give your child a great experience – but the experience will be different.
Here’s a little information to help you choose.
Live with a Host Family
Your child will live with a local family and travel to school everyday. The English for teens programmes include classroom lessons, and activities such as sports, drama, cultural events, visits. There are some evening activities, but students also spend time with the family.
Host family – strong points:
- Living with a family is often cheaper.
- Your teenager will experience British culture.
- He/she will take part in family life.
- It provides more opportunity to use and continue improving English.
On the other side:
- Your teen will have to travel between family and school, but students are usually in pairs.
- There is more freedom so your child needs to be responsible.
- There are usually fewer organised activities, but the children spend more time with the English-speaking family.
Live in a boarding school
When you choose a residence, the English for teens programme will usually take place in a British Boarding school. Your child with be supervised 24/24.
Boarding schools – strong points:
- There is opportunity to experience some of the most exclusive private schools in the UK.
- There are often superb buildings, grounds and sports facilities
- Some activities are with professional coaches (horse-riding, tennis, rugby etc.)
- The English for teens programme is a full-time programme of activities and visits
- The school offers a safe, secure environment and 24 hour supervision.
On the other side:
- Boarding schools are usually much more expensive.
- Students have more opportunity to speak their own language with other children in the school.
- There is no experience of British family life.
See our programmes for your teenagers.